Sometimes the only exercise the body seems to get during our working day is our fingers clicking on the mouse and hitting the key board. Due to stress, boredom or tiredness, we often snack to occupy our senses – so here’s some ideas on how to transform our snacking habits:
- Oats. They are a rich source of fibres and help to lower cholesterol levels and provide the necessary level of energy to get us through the day and alleviate cravings. The great benefit is that you can mix them with plenty of other things such as blueberries and banana. Yum!
- Apple slice with nut butters. This nice combination will leave you feeling satisfied for longer while your body gains fibre and fat.
- Dark chocolate. For those with a sweet tooth. Loaded with nutrients, dark chocolate is a great source of antioxidants, helps provide a better blood flow whilst also lowering blood pressure. Another benefit is that it can help improve brain function.
- Mixed nuts. A very convenient snack. Not only are they known to reduce the risk of heart disease but they are also a perfect balance of fats, protein and fibre.
- Olives. Olives can help fight inflammation.
- Cucumber slices and hummus. The fresh taste of cucumber and the creamy texture of hummus make it a perfect duo. Hummus is a great source of protein while cucumber is full of vitamins and minerals.
- Swap your coffee for a green tea. Green tea helps stimulate our brain and contains L-theanine- an ingredient which slowly release caffeine rather than all at once.